The following is a list of FREE websites that can help you supplement or even plan your lessons – whether you’re working with an ABE (Adult Basic Education) student or an ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) student.
- www.newsela.com – Non-fiction and current event articles. You can choose the grade level for reading the articles.
- www.kitzkikz.com/flashcards – Easily create printable flash cards by typing in or cutting/pasting words.
- www.puzzlemaker.com – Create your own word games and crossword puzzles.
- www.typing.com – Online typing tutor which can save student progress.
- www.ocls.info/virtual/onlinedatabases/db– a link to the various resources offer by the Orange County Library System.
- www.rewordify.com – create easy to read passages with embedded definitions, print vocabulary lists
- www.kahoot.com – create fast-paced games on smartphones or tablets
- www.khanacademy.org – free math, science, grammar
- www.readtheory.org – free reading practice with informational texts
Adult Basic Education
- abspd.appstate.edu/vocabulary-lessons – High-level lesson plans and resources for vocabulary instruction.
- www.allaboutlearningpress.com/how-to-teach-syllable-types – Tips and tricks for teaching syllables.
- www.dys-add.com – Sharing the latest research on dyslexia and tips for helping someone who has been diagnosed with dyslexia.
- www.edhelper.com – Covers topics from basic literacy to all levels of mathematics.
- www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar – Useful exercises for grammar and punctuation
- www.freewritingprompts.net – Creative, non-fiction, and persuasive writing prompts
- www.gcflearnfree.org -Videos focusing on computer and work skills, as well as activities to work on reading, vocabulary, and more.
- www.handwritingworksheets.com – Create custom handwriting worksheets for low-level students.
- www.khanacademy.org -Videos focusing on many topics from Math to Humanities to Computer Programming.
- www.merriam-webster.com/game/index.htm – Quizzes and games for vocabulary and reading skills. Breaks down words into syllables to teach reading skills.
- www.studyguidezone.com/gedtest.htm – Online test prep and GED activities and resources.
- www.varsitytutors.com/practice-tests – High-level practice tests and study materials for GED students.
- www.floridaliteracy.org/mathvideos.html – large collection of Khan Academy math videos
- Hand Writing Worksheets – Create custom handwriting worksheets for low-level students
- ISL Collective– Printable ESOL worksheets for multiple levels
- Boggles World ESL (Lanternfish)– Printable ESOL worksheets, quizzes, and activities
- Using English– Advanced topics and worksheets for high-level ESOL students
- ESL Charts– 12 Tense Timeline (Easy to Understand)
- Kitz Kikz Flashcard Maker– Easily create printable flash cards by typing in or cutting/pasting words
- DLTK’s Growing Together– Print out sets of 6 or 12 custom, themed memory cards. Themes include body parts, time, nutrition and household items
- Math-Aids– Provides free math worksheets for teachers, parents, students, and homeschoolers
Conversational – Advanced
- Daily ESL– Conversation starters and English speaking practice ideas
- Adult Education Tutor Support– Conversation starters and English language skill topics
- Online Slang– List of acronyms common to texting and online chatting
- Ethnic Groups of the United States– Sharing the latest research on dyslexia and tips for someone who has been diagnosed with dyslexia
English Language Literacy
- Homonyms picture chart – a chart of homonyms with their definitions and pictures representing each word
- Phrasal verbs picture chart – a chart of informal verbs in English with pictures and definitions
- www.lyricstraining.com/ – listen to songs in English and fill in the blanks, practice typing and listening skills
- www.fluentland.com/ – Provides English lessons, forums, games, customize to different levels
- en.islcollective.com/worksheets – Printable ESOL worksheets for multiple levels.
- www.americaslibrary.gov -American history site by the Library of Congress. Includes games, activities and a reading list.
- www.businessenglishsite.com/business-english-other-tests.html – Business English vocabulary and lessons for high-level ESOL students.
- www.cambridge.org/us/esl/venturesadulted/venturesarcade/ – Online lessons and worksheets to compliment Cambridge University Press’s Ventures curricula.
- www.dailyesl.com – Conversation starters and English speaking practice ideas.
- www.eastsideliteracy.org/tutorsupport/ESL/ESLTalkTimeTopics.htm – Conversation starters and English language skill topics.
- www.esl.about.com – Sign up for the weekly newsletter for ESOL tips and tricks.
- www.eslbrains.com/ – Focuses on business English, but includes other subjects as well. Features video lessons and worksheets for expanded learning and comprehension.
- www.eslcafe.com – Lesson plans, pronunciation guides, worksheets, and ESOL quizzes.
- www.eslflow.com/Picturelessonsandteachingideas.html – Picture-based lesson plans and worksheets.
- www.eslgold.com – Audio and animations focusing on pronunciation, vocabulary, and writing.
- www.englishwithjennifer.com – Lesson plan tips and tricks, along with videos for English pronunciation, idioms, and conversation skills.
- www.englishcentral.com – Watch and learn English pronunciation through listening and speaking activities. Includes quizzes.
- www.engvid.com -Video recordings of ESOL lessons focusing on pronunciation, vocabulary, and conversation skills.
- www.manythings.org – Interactive site with word games, worksheets, and ESOL vocabulary lessons.
- www.teaching-esl-to-adults.com/best-esl-lesson-plans.html – ESOL lesson plans, worksheets, and information on TESOL certification.
- www.tolearnenglish.com/cgi2/myexam/index.php – Searchable multi-lesson activities and lessons with video and audio recordings.
- www.usalearns.org – Interactive site with quizzes, lessons, and a weekly newsletter.
- www.usingenglish.com/teachers/lesson-plans/level-advanced.html – Advanced topics and worksheets for high-level ESOL students
- https://learnwithnews.com/ – Use the news to teach English
- https://engoo.com/app/daily-news – Use the news to teach English
- https://custom-writing.org/blog/esl-resources-for-students – Compilation of ESL resources
- https://allesl.com – Assorted free ESL resources (games, conversation topics, worksheets, etc.)
Computer Skills and Work Skills
- GCF Learn Free– Videos focusing on computer and work skills, as well as activities to work on reading, vocabulary, and more
- Business English Site– Business English vocabulary and lessons for high-level ESOL students
- Learn the Net– Navigating the internet
- Excel Easy– Working with Excel
Test Prep – Citizenship, GED
- Study Guide Zone– Online test prep and GED activities and resources
- Varsity Tutors– High-level practice tests and study materials for GED students
- Citizenship– Videos and resources for the citizenship test
- Citizenship study guide– Flashcards, notes and practice quizzes in English AND Spanish
- Bright Solutions for Dyslexia– Sharing the latest research on dyslexia and tips for someone who has been diagnosed with dyslexia